Sunday, October 31, 2010

Triathlete's Running Season has started!

What do triathletes do during their "off season" ... usually they ...
1. Pick what they are the worst at and focus on that
2. Try and drop some precious pounds to give them the cutting edge
3. Build muscle
4. Work on their nutrition
5. Take a mental "break" from the high intensity triathlon training
6. Rest
7. ,,,

Why do we do this? I get called CRAZY all the time and that's ok! I think all of us need to get in touch with are crazy side! =) I'll be honest, part of this is pure self-pleasure. Sure people say there is nothing pleasurable about torturing yourself. But actually, if you can embrace the pain and be dedicated ... there is nothing better than that feeling of accomplishment & the bragging rights that come with it! You also become a member of a select group that can make a difference. You make a difference in the charities that the races support. You make a difference in the lives of the people that surround you because you are a symbol of good health. You challenge them to do something beyond what they thought was conceivable b/c that's what you did.

That's what I did ... what I once thought to be inconceivable I am now doing! And, that's exciting! When I started out I couldn't run a mile , heck, I couldn't even run 3min straight. A lot has changed & it is my goal to show others what is actually attainable and as long as they swallow their fears and take that first step, they can move mountains. This isn't only for athletics, but life too. I wanted to be in the medical field, but was too scared to study it in my first undergrad. Well guess what? I swallowed my pride and my fears and am now back in school for another degree, this time nursing, and I'm loving every second of it!!

Anyone who knows me, or has read any of my posts, knows that I don't care for running all that much, so that's what I'm focusing on. My coach and I decided on about 6 different running races to do before mid-December. The first of those official races is this coming weekend (11k trail run). I've taken on a new outlook on running and am trying to stay positive. Running is not what I hate, but I'm taking it on as a challenge this winter. And, I am going to tackle it!

This week was really like my first week really back into training, since taking some time "off" so I wouldn't burn out & it was a COMPLETE SUCCESS!! I ran up Paris Mtn for the first time and it went GREAT. It was hard, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't nearly as awful as I was expecting. This weekend I was also considered a rogue runner and caught a friend at mile 3 of her first half marathon and ran the rest with her for support. She was a former Team in Training athlete and it
is exciting to see her continue in the athletic arena and strive to get faster and better. She did fantastic on this half marathon and is already talking about the next one. That's what gets me excited about what I do ... seeing someone else, who never dreamed she would ever run a half marathon or an open water triathlon and has now done both.

Inspiring others ... that's what this is really about!

No comments:

Post a Comment