Friday, November 26, 2010

First Time for Everything!


#1. My biggest fear came true ... I was supposed to be at the Parris Mountain Trail Run Race at 7:15. That meant wake up at 6am to get ready and travel the 30min to the start. I woke up and ... OH NO! It's 9:45. I slept through, what was supposed to be, my first trail run race.

This is why I love traveling to races with friends. It gives me a safety net b/c I'm horrible at waking up on my own ... just ask my morning classmates at school ... i'm always late. =(

#2. Camp Croft Half-Marathon Trail Run (11-13-10)
This was great! It was an automatic PR b/c I had never done a just a half marathon (it's always been at the end of a 70.3) & I had never done a trail run.

Everyone needs to do a trail run at least once to see how much different it is from road running. Falling & rolling of the ankles was inevitable. I crossed the finish line with a bloody knee. It seemed like everyone ended w/ at least dirt if not blood on them.

I started out feeling pretty well, and then I quickly faded to shear exhaustion. I had no life/energy going up the climbs. At about mile 3 I lost the group i was running with. Just could keep up w/ them on the climbs. I ended up running by myself for a good bit of the middle part. This is where it was hard to keep going at a faster pace than just to getter done. But I tried. I kept having flash backs to Macon 70.3, where I stood in T2 & cried b/c I was so physically & mentally done. I just kept telling myself it was a race, it's supposed to hurt.

At mile 9, I started running with a girl. All I know her as was the brunet girl w/ a maroon long sleeve shirt on. We kept switching the lead and pushed each other. Running with her really helped me. She was my carrot, & I'm not sure if I would have finished if it wasn't for her. I ended with not the greatest time, but I finished and was soo happy for that!

All in all ... lots of woods, roots and dirt & a great day with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment