Wednesday, October 20, 2010

At the RACES - Augusta 70.3 Half IM (9-26-10)


AWESOME course. Let me say that again ... AWESOME course!! The swim is fast, the bike is fast/very nice rolling hills, and the run is flat, very flat ... and lots of spectators. I had some wonderful spectators down there cheering me on: Nicole, Addison & Jenny. I couldn't have done it w/o them.

SWIM: I almost missed my swim start. To my defense, they started WAY early. Somehow everyone else realized it & I was still up on the levy talking to my friends. Oops! My group was already on the docks and I was no where close. Ha ha great running warm up in my wetsuit as I ran over a quarter mile to the docks! It was a fast swim. Not much else to say.
BIKE: This was fun, b/c I could keep higher speeds than I had expected. Except when I dropped my Zeals (sunglasses). I had taken them off b/c it was so dark from the storm & shoved them into my tri top. Well, they slipped out. No way I was leaving those babies on the ground. People must have thought I was crazy, but I turned my bike around, went back & scooped those Zeals up. That was fairly early on. The rain started to let up & I got into a rhythm. I felt great on the bike.

RUN: I was excited coming off the bike & heading out to the run. In T2 I wasn't looking at my running shoes and crying like Macon (horrible day!). I felt pretty decent on the run. Nicole caught me on the run & shouted words of encouragement to me several times ... she kept me going.

All in all it was a great race. I was extremely pleased w/ it. Sure, you always tell yourself "well, if I had just done this, or that or ... I could have been faster." Bottom line: I was 30min faster than my previous fastest Half IM distance ... and I'm happy w/ that.

1 comment:

  1. It was so great to see you in Augusta! you have no idea how well-timed our crossing paths was. I was kind of pooping out already on the run, and having you push me (literally) and tell me to keep running gave me a little more pep (at least for a while). Great job!

    ReplyDelete