Friday, June 1, 2012

Lake Murray Sprint: 05-06-12

Playing in the lake with everybody ... even Lily the dog!
You know the old saying ..."don't do anything new on race day?" Well, I kinda botched that one up!

I like this race. The area is beautiful and I was lucky enough that one of my TNTers had a house right there on Lake Murray. Three of my TNTers, Nicole & I went down to race this triathlon. It was so nice to play in the lake & just relax the night before the race. Nicole made us all our normal pasta dinner while I went over some last minute open water swimming tips with the TNTers in the lake and then washed the bikes down.



So happy after its over
Race mornin: The TNTers were all nervous since this was their first triathlon ever. Everyone found their places in TA and got all set up & then went to go get warmed up. Time did not allow me to warm up in the lake & that threw me off a bit, but it's all good. The gun goes off and we are swimming. I had told Nicole to hang on my feet and draft, but I guess that didn't really work. My sighting was right on and I finally got into a nice groove about half way through. After taking that last turn and heading back to shore I started hitting men from the wave before us. Wow, I slammed right this one guy ... he was going perpendicular to me ... um, WRONG way buddy!! Got out and it was a mad dash to TA to get on the bike. The bike felt great! I had recently changed my bike fit around so I could start activating my gluts. This was my BIG MISTAKE of the day. This race was really the first time I had been on a real bike ride with the new fit.

Emily celebrating after placing in the Novice division!
It felt great ... until the run! I have changed my mentality when it comes to running. My goal is to consider myself a "runner" by the end of the season and so I went into this race excited to see what I could do on the run portion. Ha! With the newly activated muscles on the bike, I was in for a long run/walk 5k. Yes, I said run/walk. I've gotten new running shoes and absolutely love them. My form has improved and also my times. Unfortunately, every time I hit an incline my legs cramped like no other. My legs cramped so bad that I would end up swinging my legs around to put on in front of the other. It was a pretty funny sight!! I stopped a few times to try and stretch them out, but they came right back. Oh well, live and learn right! I still had fun and was excited to feel good on the run (when my legs weren't cramped so bad that they were stuck straight out). =)
Scott rocking it as he ran into the finish chute

No comments:

Post a Comment