Saturday, May 15, 2010

St. Anthonies - Pre Race Weekend

Wow!! I know this is getting up a little late, but here it goes. Where do I start?

This race was supposed to be a girls race weekend. Having fun, racing, partying, singing w/ the radio ... but things didn't happen quite as planned. My race buddy got all preggo & strict bed rest on me, & it looked like I'd be going down by myself. Well, a week prior to the race my sister must have been feeling pretty bad for me & she told me that she is flying down from OH to come see me race! How cool is that! I was soo excited. And, then my mom started asking questions about me driving down there & how long the ride would be. Turns out she was feeling bad for me too! She came home Thursday night & said she was coming down too b/c I shouldn't be driving that far all by myself. Well this is just great! Turns out it is still going to be a girls weekend ... just w/ diff girls.

FRIDAY morning my mom & I head out (a little later than planned!) The drive was horribly long. I thought the cops in Starbucks might arrest us, & at one pit stop I would not have been surprised if hillbillies had come out w/ their shot guns & robbed us. All in all we made it down there safe & sound. Got there about 9pm & found a great parking spot about 1block from the historical hotel we were staying at. It was
at this point that the palm tree I had parked under decided to give up the ghost & 1 of the larger branches fell & hit my car while I was standing right there ... couldn't believe it ... just started laughing. As we were waling back to the hotel we heard some loud noises coming from the pier. Turned out there was a outdoor production of Hairspray going on. We walked for a little bit and decided to call it a day.

Beccah's flight ended up changing due to nasty weather up north. So, she didn't fly in
till Saturday evening.

SATURDAY morning ca
me before I knew it. I had to do a short swim, bike & run. I decided to start w/ the swim so I could get a feel for the water in the morning, like it would be race day. I was slightly nervous about the ocean swim b/c even though I have swum i
n the ocean for fun I have never actually "swam" in the ocean. My mom & I walk down to the swim start & see everyone there w/ their wetsuits. I decided not to give into the peer pressure & I swam w/o my wetsuit. The water felt amazing & I l
oved it. At one point, my hand hit something semisolid & somewhat slimy. People there thought it could have been a ray. I'm not sure b/c the water was pretty murky & I couldn't see anything. On our way back to the hotel we saw the coolest tree ever w/ beautiful red flowers that had dropped & were now covering the ground beneath.

Next I biked. It was fun b/c there was a huge group from Team in Training at this race & I was wore my TNT tri suit for the short bike & run. Everyone was hollering at me "Go Team" & I felt so special & was wishing I could wear the TNT suit for the actual race. I finished m
y run at the Saturday fair, a couple blocks from our hotel, for some good lunch & music.

Then we headed down to the EXPO for athlete check in & to find some cool stuff. Of course I ended up spending too much $$, but it was fun!! It was extremely hot while we were at the expo, so when we walked by the Endless Pool exhibit I was eager to jump in! Swimming in the Endless Pool was a very unique experience. Emily with the Endless Pool Design Team was super nice and very informative. While I was swimming, Emily's coworker kept increasing the speed of the water to fit my own personal speed. You could definitely get a good workout from one of those pools! If you ever get a chance to try one out you should jump at the opportunity!

We finished the day by getting lost on the way to the airport, but finally making it to pick up Rebeccah. Grabbed some pre-race pasta dinner under a cabana. And, then it was back to the hotel for some shut eye.

RACE DAY - on another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment