Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Open Water ... Scary!?!?

What just touched my leg!?!  >  I can't see anything when I swim.  >  I'm in the middle of a lake!  >  I don't think I can make it!  >  I can't breath!  >  HELP!!!!!

Does this happen to you when you start the lake swim of the triathlon? Don't feel bad. It happens to many people. Whether it is because you haven't been exposed to lake swimming or maybe it is the anxiety of the race getting the best of you. Being out in the lake is one of the best ways to help overcome this.

In an attempt to get the TNT athletes ready for their open water swim, I went to the lake several times as support for my team as they exposed themselves to this type of swimming. Each time they swam about 1 mile and worked on their sighting in Lake Hartwell while I kayaked next to them. There was definite fear for some of them. Others picked it up like it was nothing. The Open Water Swims and Transition Drills are by far some of m favorite TNT training days!

By the last time we swam out there, all of them realized that they could do the swim for their triathlon. They believed in themselves ... and I would call that ... SUCCESS!!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent artiсlе. I absοlutеly appreciate
    this website. Keep it uρ!

    Also vіsit mу wеb page: losing weight after 50

    ReplyDelete
  2. You аre so interеsting! I dο not suppose I've truly read a single thing like this before. So good to discover someone with a few unique thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

    Also visit my weblog; organic food

    ReplyDelete