Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Greenville Sprint Triathlon

This is a race that can't be missed. It's right in my backyard and all the big wigs of local triathletes come out to play. Fun times for sure! Besides the Westside Aquatics Center has gotten a complete make over and I was anxious to swim in their new pool. Some of my Team in Training (TNT) triathletes even decided to come out and race.

The morning started out early, as do all race mornings seem too. Not sure what the issues was, but I was all discombobulated this morning. Almost forgot to set out my helmet in my transition area! Finally got all set up and checked on my TNTers. Headed out for a quick warm up on the bike to check the gears. All as good, so time to walk up to the pool. Uh oh, had to run back to my transition and put my socks out ... and sungalsses ... oh, and grab my swim cap! Ok, now all ready.

SWIM: Seeing as I had signed up the day prior, my race number was at the end of the participants. Thankfully SetUp Events changed their timing for pool starts and I was able to jump in with Nicole. Funny thing, we get up there and this girl in front of us was talking about how these two girls always give her a beating in the pool. Pretty sure we are those girls. Heehee! For some reason she always starts before us, and then we have to climb over her in the water. Lady, please change your swim time and start with people that actually swim your speed!

At this point I am already excited to swim, and then we find out we are allowed to dive in ... yay! Boy was it fun to see athletes try and dive when they aren't used to it ... can we say BELLY FLOP! My swim went great. I had a great dive and caught someone before I even took my first stroke. A couple laps later I came up on that girl (from the starting line), but I was nice and went wide when I passed her. =) With abotu 75 meters to go, I lost my swim cap, but other than that the swim went well. Didn't completely find my groove, but was still very happy with my swim.

BIKE: 57 seconds = run in, socks on, shoes on, helmet on, sunglasses, & run out with my bike ... I've seen faster, but I'll take it! The bike starts with a long gradual up hill and continues with rolling hills. I reached the top of that first long hill, turned right and started cruising until this truck & trailer zoomed past me and then slowed down. I seriously could have gone right up onto the trailer if the ramp was down. Crazy! We slowed to almost a complete stop, so me being the impatient one did the illegal thing and passed on the right. Ahh, shocker. Yes, I broke the "riding rules of conduct," sorry. Susan passed me with a few miles left on the bike. I tried to hang close and was able to run in the T2 with her.

RUN: YES! I beat Susan out of TA! But, of course she passed me before the first turn like I was standing still. This was a 2 loop course. I pushed through it & got to that finish line!

Frank Roth ... a-m-a-z-i-n-g! He pulled and pushed my sore muscles into submission. =)

This race was one of my TNTers first triathlon. He is a cancer survivor and his such a happy spirit about his everything. He has pushed his body passed his physical goals. Watching him cross that finish line was not only humbling, but also inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment