Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Break = Awesome training days!


I started Spring Break out by tidying up the house and the strapped the bike on the car and headed out. My first race is Parris Island, SC. It's a flat race so I've been working especially hard with keeping my cadence high and just keeping my legs moving. Normally, I train on rolling hills and I had gotten used to that frequent little recovery on the down hills. You don't get that with flats & if you don't train properly, you'll get burnt out.

Today was flat terrain. My Zeals went missing, so I was having to sport the Ray Ban sunglasses ... styling & profiling! It was quite colder than I was expecting, especially in the shade, but I just blocked it out of my mind and focused on my cadence and effort level. It was my first brick of the season. I did intervals of 2.5min tempo (almost sprinting if you ask me) with a 30sec recovery. Ended up doing that a lot! Got a couple breaks because of an important phone call & then a few traffic intersections. As I was standing at one of the intersections a guy rolls up with tights on & a big coat & says "you have got to be cold!" ... "I figure if I move fast enough, I won't notice!" Even with the couple breaks I was spent & so happy for my 10min cool down! Rolled up to the car and then the clock was on. Quickly I locked the Griffen on top of my car, threw on my running shoes and was off for my short, interval run.

I honestly think it was the BEST run of the season so far. I mean, wow! My legs felt great. High cadence really does help! I hit my first sprint and after fell right back into my grove. This was awesome. Lets hope it continues, and it did! Maybe it has to do with being on Spring Break & not having the stress of school and work. Whatever it is, I need to bottle it up and keep it!

I can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment